Usernames and passwords are needed if accessing these databases from home. (See your printed Database Pathfinder or Student Agenda (assignment pad) or ask Media Center staff for username/password information.)
Articles from these databases can be printed out, saved on your personal drive (My Documents) or a flash drive, or e-mailed home.
SIRS Discoverer: (Reference and news/magazine articles)
- SORT: Leave Sort by Relevance (the default) selected; articles closest to your topic will be at the beginning of the results list from your search.
- KEYWORDS: Select Keyword/Natural Language and enter your keywords.
- CHOOSE ARTICLE TYPE: Click on a Tab to choose type of article (Ref, mag, news).
- CHOOSE ARTICLE: Browse article Titles and Summaries to choose a good article on your topic.
- CITATION INFO: Get citation information by clicking Source & Summary at the top of the screen.
- EMAIL/SAVE: You must copy/paste text to a WORD doc to SAVE an article, or you can type your EMAIL address in box at top of article and click the Send Email button to send home.
(Reference and news/magazine articles)
- CHOOSE DATABASE: Click on the database Kids Search or Student Research Center.
- KEYWORDS: Type your keywords in the Find box. Click Search.
- SORT: Select Relevance if you have many articles.
- FILTER ARTICLE RESULTS: Select a tab to choose type of articles to view: ( Magazine, Newspaper, Reference)
- NARROW ARTICLE RESULTS: By Subject - Choose a related subject for your topic.
- CITATION INFO: At top of article in “Author”, “Title”, “Source” fields.
- EMAIL/SAVE/PRINT: EMAIL an article home using your personal email address or SAVE to your personal (H) drive or PRINT article if at home.
World Book Online
World Book: (Reference articles)
- SELECT DATABASE: Select World Book Student.
- KEYWORDS: Type your keywords in the search box. Click Search.
- ARTICLE TYPE: Click on Encyclopedia Articles on left of screen. Browse article titles for your topic.
- CITATION INFORMATION: At bottom of article in this format: Author Name. “Title of Article”. Database Name. Database Company, Publication date. Web. Today’s date.
- EMAIL/SAVE: Tools box at top of article: Email article home or Save on USB/H drive.
GALE Virtual Reference Library
GALE Virtual Reference Library (Reference eBooks)
- CHOOSE DATABASE: Click Proceed. Click on GALE Virtual Reference Library.
- KEYWORDS: Type in keywords in Search box at top of screen to search all eBooks.
- ARTICLE TYPE: Results are list of eBook sections/chapters related to your topic.
- CHOOSE ARTICLE: Click on the section/chapter name in eBook to view that section/chapter.
- CITATION INFO: In pinkish tan box at top of section/chapter page.
- EMAIL/SAVE: Emailing: Buttons on top left of screen. Use HTML (PDF can be glitchy). Saving: Select Download, and select HTML or PDF. PDF does NOT contain citation info. Click Download.
Grolier Online (reference articles)
*5 different databases
- CHOOSE DATABASE: Click on database image on left or search all databases on current page.
- KEYWORDS: Enter keywords in the search box.
- ARTICLE TYPE: Results list default is sorted by Relevance and Encyclopedia articles. Click tabs at top to choose another article type if you wish (News Stories, Fast Facts, Magazines.) NOTE: Fast Facts are fact boxes from an encyclopedia listed under article title.
- CHOOSE ARTICLE: Browse article titles and summaries to choose a good article.
- CITATION INFO: For Encyclopedia article - Click “How to Cite this article?” link at top of article (or scroll to bottom). For News Stories - Get author and title at top of screen and other info at bottom of screen. Fast Facts – The encyclopedia it is from is the Source for citation.
- EMAIL/PRINT: Buttons are in yellow bar at top of screen. For Printing, you must check off the sections of the article you want to print before printing. No Save button.
12 databases (Original content) – each has a different name.
- CHOOSE DATABASE: Click on title of specific database or can search all from current screen.
- KEYWORDS: Type in your topic in blue search box at top.
- CHOOSE ARTICLE: Percentage numbers tell how relevant (“on topic”) the article is.
- VIEW ARTICLE: Click on a title to view that article. Click on page #s at the bottom of screen to go to the next page of article.
- CITATION INFO: Click on CITE THIS button at top of article for MLA formatted citation information. Articles are Original content = No Source name in the citation.
- EMAIL/PRINT: Buttons at top of page. NOTE: Email sends an article link-must enter database password to access article using the link.
- See Also at bottom of page has links to related articles (good ideas for keywords too.)
Bushfires or bush fires
Coral Reef Destruction:
Coral reef conservation
Coral reef ecology
Pesticides in foods:
Chemicals in foods
Rain Forest Depletion:
Rain forest destruction
Fossil Fuels shortages: