Directions For This Cafe Station:
Madeleine L'Engle's Newbery Medal winning book, A Wrinkle in Time, has recently been published as a graphic novel. At this cafe station you will learn what graphic novels are, and how they are made.
Work in pairs and follow these directions below to read and view videos to learn about the graphic novel format and extend your learning by completing the described activity.
1. On the iPad mini, open up Safari. Click the open book icon (Bookmarks).
2. Click the bookmark labeled Wrinkle in TIme - Graphic Novels
3. Read the definitions in the Vocabulary box below.
4. Click the link What is a Graphic Novel? in the All About Graphic Novels box and read through the Google Slide presentation.
5. Read the infographic in the Characteristics of a Graphic Novel box to the left.
6. ACTIVITY: Using the template on the back of this station's handout, create your own 3 panel graphic novel formatted story. If you have already done the activities for the Author Study and Science Fiction stations, try incorporating your character and new technology in this story.
7.) OPTIONAL if extra time - Listen to the ReadWriteThink podcast about graphic novels.
A book or magazine in which stories are told through a sequence of drawings and character speech.
A book that uses drawings and dialogue to tell a story but is longer than a traditional comic book. Refers to the format of the book, not the genre.
The written part of a comic book or graphic novel, play, movie, or television show, including dialogue.
Podcast from ReadWriteThink: http://www.readwritethink.org/parent-afterschool-resources/podcast-episodes/podcast/introduction-graphic-novels-30326.html